An excerpt from The Sound of Things to Come in Enkare Review.
- “Life Performs Itself”, a tribute to Ray Daniels Okeugo in Contemporary &
- “The Art of Victor Ehikhamenor” in Africa’s a Country
- “Ingrid Winterbach’s The Elusive Moth” in Music & Literature
- In Africanah: “Notes on Double Negative by Ivan Vladislavić,“ “Sentences for Carrie Mea Weems, “Glancing Subjects,” “In the Interests of the Future of Photography,” & “An Imagination of Terror“ (translated into Swedish in SvD Kultur.)
- In Guernica: “The Self-Portraits of Samuel Fosso,” “Shifting States,” & “The Wealth of Nations.”
- Tribute essays to Malick Sidibé: “Meeting Malick,” in Contemporary And and “Malick Sidibé, Always” in Okayafrica.
- “In Multiple Dimensions: On Photography from Africa and the African Diaspora, in New York,” in ARTNews
- In Brooklyn Rail, “The Promise of Mutability.”
- “Here Comes the Stranger.” On The Stranger’s Notebook by Dawit L. Petros at the Kansas City Art Institute. Click on the “Essay” tab.
- For the project “Photographie et Oralité Dialogues à Bamako, Dakar et ailleurs, 2011–2015,” a narrative essay, “My Heart Is as Brief as Photos.“
- “My Life as a Wave.” Photographs & a short essay (on itinerancy, unsheltered life, etc.) in Open Space, guest-edited by ARTS.BLACK.
- “The Sum of Encounters,” a travelogue for the Carnegie Int’l, 57th ed., 2018.
- The short reflective essays I wrote for Invisible Borders in 2014 and 2016 while traveling across African countries can be found on the Invisible Borders website.
- As writer-in-residence for Platform 2015: Dancers, Buildings and People in the Streets, I wrote weekly essays on the workshops, performances, and dance events.
- Essays on historical and contemporary photographs from, in, and around Nigeria, in The Trans-African.
- With Kate Haines on Farad, Gambit: Newer African Writing, and Saraba magazine (2013)
- On the School of Visual Arts blog on my work with Invisible Borders (2014)
- On the work of Saraba: On the Storymoja blog, This is Africa, and Brittle Paper (2015)
- On The Trans-African: With Jennifer Krasinski for Degree Critical, and An Paenhuysen for Contemporary& (2016)
- A conversation with Moses Serubiri and Ndinda Kioko on writing for The Trans-African
- With Yinka Elujoba in World Literature Today following the release of The Sound of Things to Come (2016)
- A conversation with Adebiyi Olusolape in Enkare Review following the release of The Sound of Things to Come (2016)
- A conversation with Tolu Daniel in Afridiaspora following the release of The Sound of Things to Come (2016)
- Clifton Gachagua, in Wasafiri
- Rotimi Babatunde, in Wasafiri
- Maaza Mengiste, in Wasafiri
- Shailja Patel, in Wasafiri, and translated into Italian
- Yvonne Owuor, in Saraba
- Eric Gottesman, in Africa is a Country
- François-Xavier Gbré (with Brendan Wattenberg), in Another Africa
- Namsa Leuba, in the Aperture blog
- Nengi Omuku, in Degree Critical
- Andrew Esiebo, in Okayafrica
Talk & presentation at the MFA Art Criticism & Writing program, School of Visual Arts (2014).